College Soccer

CCSU Women’s Soccer Draws With BU, 1-1, In Home Opener


Central Connecticut settled for a 1-1 draw with Boston University in women’s soccer action on Friday night at the CCSU Soccer Field. The Blue Devis scored first in their home-opener for the season, but a Terrier goal tied it just before halftime and the teams remained deadlocked.

Central (2-1-2) took an early lead just 3:32 into the match when senior Claire Walsh picked the ball up in the midfield and sent a long pass ahead from the left wing. Freshman Emma Hubbard was able to run onto the ball get behind the defense to put her shot past the keeper for her third goal of the year and an early 1-0 lead.

BU (0-4-2) had a 9-4 edge in shots in the opening half but weren’t able to convert until the 37:18 mark. Jenna Fisher collected a loose ball just outside the 18-yard box and pulled it back to her right foot before placing her shot just under the crossbar to make it 1-1.

The Terriers nearly took the lead with just under two minutes left in the half when Alex Schlobohm took a shot from the left wing that deflected off the crossbar. Fisher’s follow-up attempt went wide and the teams went into halftime tied.

BU had the first scoring opportunity of the second half off a corner kick in the 51st minute. Julianna Chen gathered the ball inside the penalty area and put a shot towards goal, but CCSU sophomore Alex Zampini made the defensive stop on the goal line to keep the score tied.

CCSU had a scoring chance just before the end of regulation when Walsh sent a shot in from the right wing, but Parisi made the stop to keep the score tied and send the game to overtime.

Sophomore Jennifer Cafferky had the best chance of the night in overtime when CCSU earned a corner kick with under a minute to play in the second extra session. Walsh sent the kick into the area and Cafferky got a head to it in front of goal, but Parisi made the save and preserved the tie.

Junior Nicki Turley had a strong night in goal for the Blue Devils and finished with 10 saves as the Terriers held a 19-8 edge in shots. Central managed an 8-5 margin in corner kicks.

Parisi finished with five saves for the Terriers.

The Blue Devils return to action at Siena on Sunday with a 1:00 p.m. contest.